Thread: Peter Thomas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Peter Thomas

High Guy's I have bad torque roll on a apache 57" with planning plank, 3" stinger j&g 25 cc motor. Could not get past 1/4 throttle with out it rolling right over and turning I had it up to 35/40 kp/h on a 2 blade octura x478.Tried 69x17,70x16,3 blade and 67x17 4 blade but ran wetter and slower but less body roll. I am running the stinger level and strait and it is starting to hook and then I move the trigger ever so gently and it rolls to the right right up to the gunnels. Thanks Peter

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the site, Peter. Is the prop sharp? A dull prop can cause that problem. You can also try thinning the blades a little. A prop that is too big or has too much pitch doesn't help either. Do you have trim tabs on it? leave the left tab level with the bottom and lower the right tab a little bit. I usually put my stinger offset 1/4" to the right which can also help. Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Doug, Props are sharpish but not sharp enough to cut your self, won was brand new came balanced and sharpened,also recheck stinger length, 6" not 3"

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't sharpen mine razor sharp either. You might want to check the one you bought that was supposed to be balanced and sharpened. I've bought a couple that said that and when I checked them they weren't even close to being balanced. Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your help , I have found octura x478 diameter was causing the torque roll, less with x467 but will have to go smaller.I known of ABC, Prather and Prop Shop are they similar or is there better thinner blades you would suggest.Thank You for suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

Every company's props are a little different even if the diameter and pitch is the same. If you want thin blades you usually have to thin them yourself or buy props that have been modified. I would say Prop Shop and ABC may be a little thinner from the factory than the Octuras.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I saw some custom props, some won said they are about $170 out of what was looking

Downloads
    Uploads

A little trick I learned years ago to control torque roll is to off set the prop shaft to the right of center of transom a very little bit "The whole drive line while keeping the motor in center, slight bend in drive/flex shaft to right, as you want the drive shaft to be straight and not angled to the right" , this makes the weight of the boat's left side in-essence heavier on the prop shaft and limits the roll without limiting rpm or top speed.
    Sounds strange because everyone knows that a prop to the left will help maintain speed in the turns, but a prop on the right slightly will control roll.

Another trick if you don't want to move the weight to the left is to have a turn fin on the left side angled to the left to control roll as well, using the water to in-essence hold the left side limiting roll. "Taking it back to the old school"
    Last edited by burns.kd; 08-12-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

At present the shaft comes out a the bottom of the V on a planning plant, I may have to bring the prop and shaft out under the hull as its lifting nearly level with the water.This may stop it from rolling with more prop in the water?Thank's Peter.